Race Officers Report

Firstly I would like to thank Ken and the team from Nelson for great organisational skills, they made the Race Officer role easy.We had a fleet of 30 boats, which gave us B fleets of 18 and A fleets of 16 with 4 up and 4 down.

Saturday started of light and variable, with us getting the seeding races off as 1 lap windward leeward courses. Once the fleets were sorted, we kicked off the racing with windward leeward 1 and 1a, and a gate at the bottom, two laps. The wind was tending to the north, with quite a bit of easterly in it. Just 11am, the wind died out completely, so we called an early lunch and let the breeze fill in from the north as forecast.

Just before 1pm we adjusted the marks, and got racing underway in light to medium A rig. In total we got 9 races in by 1600 hrs.The team from Nelson supplied awesome lunches (massive actually!) and drinks and chips after racing, very convivial after a day in the Tasman sun.

Sunday dawned overcast and cooler, the breeze was a very light SW. We got B fleet underway, and ended up having 3 goes at completing heat 10A within the time limit (finally sneaking in by 30 seconds).

An early lunch was called, when racing resumed we managed to get three more races completed in a light NNE.
The behaviour on the course was good, with not too many issues in tough conditions.

Congratulations to Graham Roberts, Ian Vickers and Phil Pryde for a hard fought 1st, 2nd and 3rd  Gulf Harbour claimed the interclub trophy, and Basil Hart was top local boat.

Thanks to all who travelled to make this event the success it was, the spirit was excellent, and the atmosphere pleasant. Well done to all.

Stephen Champion
Race Officer

The following from the winner of the Regatta Graham Roberts… thank you

Friday saw most of the sailor roll into measuring from 10am to 4pm About 20 boats rolled around lake for the practice session. Wind rotating around compass most of the afternoon and just kept getting lighter all day. Very nice venue, not to far away from yachts at any one time. Awesome setup.

Saturday 7am the first sailors arrived. A wide spread of South and North Island sailor. Brilliant turnout and great effort to all. A lovely sunny morning with zero breeze greeted the sailors.
Briefing from Race Office Steve champion at 9.30am saw racing delayed until 10am waiting on a breeze to arrive. The wind arrived 10am and the two ceeding races took place in lighter airs.
The wind was clocking randomly over a 90 degree spread and a lot of luck was required. The left or right paid, but the middle rarely. As the day progress the wind got stronger and at times was at the top end of A.
Racing was very close and result varied for most, with some sailing all races as they were in the bottom 4 or A, and then the top 4 of B. The sun was beaming all day so there will be some very tired sailors tonight. Ian was “Mr Constant” as usual and lead the first day with 7 point lead Graham. Weather forecast not to flash for Sunday, however we have woken to a clear’ish morning. Mega thanks to all the officials and organizers.
Bring on Day 2
Sunday was light... Race officer Steve held off racing until the wind settled in from the North. B fleet started in shifty challenging conditions and just finished the two laps just within the 15 minute time limit. A fleet then started but where not so lucky. Three attempts to finish the A fleet within the 15 minute window. The next B, A where 1 lap’ers. A couple of protests where heard while we waited for wind. The points between 1st and 2nd where very close so the race office pushed on and got away two more light races. Graham Roberts managed the win. Only two points behind Ian Vickers was 2nd. Phil Pryde was third. Great Event, well done Nelson Radio Yacht Squadron

Graham Roberts


Click to enlarge..